Sunday, September 26, 2010

Nightstand Do It Yourself

I had been on the lookout for nightstands for a while. While there were many styles out there that I liked, none fit my budget criteria. Since I wasn't willing to pay $100 per nightstand, I started stalking craigslist for some cheap ones needing a facelift. It wasn't too long before I found them.....$40 for two dark purple extremely ugly nightstands.

First they had to be sanded to remove all the latex paint. This was the most time consuming part of the process. I recruited my husband for this, who used a sander, sand paper, and a dremel tool over the course of many hours to finally get all the paint off.
Then we were ready to prime and paint.

After one coat of primer and a couple coats of paint, they were ready for new hardware. Here is the finished product.

I also lined the drawers with some fabric left over from my chair upholstery project. Now I wish we had painted the inside of the drawers too because this brown bugs me. Not bad overall for only $40, paint & supplies we already had, and labor. Here's the finished product in the bedroom.
Please ignore the glowing-eyed cat in the photo. Since this was taken the window trim has been painted white and I got the matching shams for the bed. I have plans to raise the headboard and paint it white. The walls are going to be grey. The lampshades will also be changed out. Still a work in progress! Comments and suggestions for improvement are always welcome. :)

1 comment:

  1. Really beautiful transformation!! Love the change!

    I have a Giveaway from the French Basketeer I think you will love!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete